VINTAGE LUNDIN LINKS AND LARGO
  • Blog

Reverend William Bruce (1845-1917)

25/7/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

The Reverend William Bruce was minister of Largo United Free Church for 46 years, from 1871 until his death in 1917. The sketch of him above appeared in a biographical piece in the Dundee Evening Telegraph of 24 July 1899, at which time he was just over halfway through his time in Upper Largo. William Bruce was born in Aberdeen in 1845 to  blacksmith and chain maker William Bruce and his wife Hannah Black. The family lived close to the Aberdeen Harbour, at Links Street.

By the age of 15, William was a clerk for a ship broker, supporting his widowed mother. Around this time, in 1859, a religious revival swept across Scotland, originating in Aberdeen. This period of intense religious fervour saw a young William turn his thoughts to religion. In 1863 he gained a bursary and went to University to study classics and moral philosophy. Afterwards, he spent four years at Divinity Hall in Aberdeen studying theology, leaving there in March 1871. From there he went to the Free Church at Peterhead to assist the Reverend James Yuill.

In the summer of 1871, candidates were being heard each Sunday at the Free Church in Largo, seeking to find a successor to the then minister the Reverend Robert Lundin Brown. William Bruce preached in July and the congregational meeting that followed resolved to stop the search for candidates and give the call to Bruce. He was ordained in Largo on 16 November 1871 (see 24 November 1871 East of Fife Record below). On 28 November, William married confectioner's daughter Mary Frances Glegg in Old Machar, Aberdeen. The newlyweds settled in Upper Largo, where William was colleague to Lundin Brown for six years. Bruce took sole charge upon the death of Brown in 1877. 

Picture

William and Mary's first child, William Francis Bruce was born in 1875. He was followed by Hannah Black Bruce in 1876. Robert Glegg Bruce and Alexander Stewart Bruce in 1879, Mary Dalyell Haymes Bruce in 1881, Arthur Cromar George Black Bruce in 1884 (who died aged 7 weeks from whooping cough), George Black Bruce in 1885 (who died aged 3 from pneumonia), Helen McConnach Bruce in 1890 (who died aged 5 months from bronchitis) and Neil Bruce in 1893. It is interesting to note that at least one of the children was named after a member of the congregation of the United Free Church of Largo. Mary Dalyell Haymes was the niece of the Misses Rigg of Aithernie House and was a generous and respected member of the community. Mary was extremely active in the church, and in particular in teaching Sabbath School. Her father was a rector in the Church of England. 

At the time of the 1881 census, the Bruce family resided at Kirkton Free Church Manse on St Andrews Road (now a private home named Lyndhurst), with four children, plus a cook and a nurse. Once well-established as a minister, Bruce apparently received multiple invitations to move to another church. However, he could not be lured away from Largo. William Bruce was very popular with "untiring energy" and "zeal" and over the years, his congregation grew and its average age lowered.

The biographical piece in the Dundee Evening Telegraph in 1899 also spoke of Bruce's travels overseas. The extract below tells of time in France, Switzerland and Belgium. Also mentioned in the Telegraph was the mission hall set up in New Gilston as an offshoot of the Free Church over a number of years, with an evening service there every Sunday evening. Robert Black was a member of the Free Church and was at the time a farmer in New Gilston. This outreach mission was initially in New Gilston schoolhouse. However, when its use was withdrawn, due to opposition, another member of the Free Church - miner, John Shepherd -  built a cottage to use as a mission hall. He also supplied coals and light.

Picture

In 1896, Reverend Bruce's semi-jubilee (25 years) was celebrated. Thomas Nicoll, an elder and headmaster of Kirkton School, presented on behalf of the congregation a "handsome pulpit robe and cassock", while Miss Haymes of Aithernie presented a silver salver and silver tea and coffee service to Mrs Bruce. There were three Sunday Schools associated with the Free Church during Bruce's time - a small congregational one, one at the New Gilston mission and another at Lundin Mill with 100 scholars. Early on in his time at Largo, William Bruce also realised that it would be beneficial to have evening services in Lundin Links. Distinguished theologian Dr Robert Rainy (a summer visitor) provided invaluable assistance in setting this up for its first season. The "feeble, the aged, the young and summer visitors" were key beneficiaries of this.

By 1901, a 55-year-old William Bruce was still residing at the U.F. Manse in Upper Largo, with his wife Mary and three of their children, Hannah, Mary and Neil, as well as a general domestic servant. However, in 1906, William was widowed, when Mary died aged 60 from pneumonia. The piece below appeared in the 1 March Leven Advertiser. 
​
Picture

In 1910, William remarried, to Agnes Crombie, in Rhu. The 1911 census finds William, Agnes and William's daughter Hannah (an Art Teacher), along with a servant living at the manse. By 1916, Reverend Bruce had applied to the Presbytery for a grant for 'Aged and Infirm Ministers', which also requested a grant for a colleague and successor. While a retiring allowance was awarded, a successor to William Bruce was never found. A long vacancy followed the death of William Bruce aged 71 on 25 January 1917 (which took place not long after he had a fall on icy streets). A scarcity of ministers prevented a replacement ever being found. The Free Church congregation were brought under the care of Reverend James Ewing of Lathones, until 1923 when he moved to Glasgow. Early in 1924 the Upper Largo United Free Church was dissolved.

During his decades in Upper Largo Reverend William Bruce was involved in the community in many ways. He was a member of Largo School Board, helped with the management of the Simpson Institute, was a member of Lundin Golf Club, the Bowling Club and the Curling Club. He was also an amateur horticulturalist and operated a fully equipped printing press from the manse, which saw much use for the printing of mission literature. His widow, Agnes, lived until 1947.

Picture
Picture
0 Comments

Reverend Robert Lundin Brown (1792-1877)

18/7/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

In 1843, there was a significant split within the Church of Scotland, where around a third of its ministers, broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. The event became known as the Disruption and was the culmination of years of disagreement over the state's influence on church affairs, including the role of landowners in the appointment of ministers. Reverend Robert Brown, who had been minister at Largo Kirk since 1821, was one of the ministers who broke away.

Brown was present at the signing of the 'Act of Separation and Deed of Demission' at the First General Assembly of the Free Church of Scotland, in Tanfield Hall Edinburgh on 23 May 1843 (depicted above from the 3 June 1843 Illustrated London News). He was one of the approximately 400 ministers and elders who were signatories of the Act that day. Taking a considerable section of his congregation with him, Brown went on to set up the Free Church in Largo. 


Picture

Robert Brown was born on 25 May 1792, and baptised on 11th June, in Newbattle, Midlothian. His father Reverend James Brown was Minister of the Parish Church there (see photograph above and plaque above). His mother was Helen Adam and Robert was the second son and one of fifteen children. Earlier in his career, James Brown been minister at Newburn Church between 1784 and 1787, so a family connection to the Largo area had been established even before Robert was born.

Robert came from a long line of clergymen. His paternal grandfather, James Brown
 (1724-1786), served as the Minister of New North Parish (also known as New Greyfriars) in Edinburgh. He was born in Abercorn and was a prominent figure in the Church of Scotland, even serving as Moderator of the General Assembly in 1777, 
and was the son of John Brown (1677-1743), the minister of Abercorn, who was in turn the son of James Brown, minister of East Calder, who died in 1691. 

Picture

Robert studied at St Andrews University and was licensed by the Presbytery of Haddington in 1816. He was presented by Lt. Gen. James Durham to Largo Kirk. On 22 April 1821, according to the Largo Kirk Session minutes, "intimation was made from the pulpit of Largo Kirk by Revered Dr Thomas Laurie, minister of Newburn, that by order of the Presbytery of St Andrews a committee of their members would meet in this place on the 3rd day of May next for the purpose of moderating a call in favour of Mr Robert Brown preacher of the Gospel to be Assistant Minister in this Parish and successor to the Rev. Spence Oliphant who by infirmity is incapable of discharging that duty."

Brown was ordained on 28 June 1821. The following year, on 8 March, Spence Oliphant, who had been minister at Largo since 1777, died. Robert married Elizabeth Lundin, daughter of Christopher Lundin 9th of Auchtermairnie, in Kennoway on 15 June 1827. The notice below appeared in the 20 June 1827 Scotsman. 
​
Picture

The pair went on to have the following children:

James Lundin Brown (1828-1872)
Richard Lundin Brown (1829- 1905)
Helen Lundin Brown  (1832-1880)
Robert Christopher Lundin Brown (1834-1876)
Emma Elizabeth Lundin Brown (1836-1878)
William Clephane Lundin Brown (1838-1891)
Arthur Brown (1840-1868)

​In 1837, while still known as Robert Brown, he authored the New Statistical Account for the Parish of Largo. Six years later he formed the Free Church in Largo. A site for the new church was found at the west end of Upper Largo's Main Street and a wooden structure was constructed. Later a manse was built for Brown on St Andrews Road, which is now known as Lyndhurst. In 1855, Robert adopted the Lundin, when his wife, Elizabeth inherited the Auchtermairnie Estate, upon the death of sister Euphemia. The latter's obituary from the 14 April 1855 Illustrated London News can be seen below. From then onwards he was known as Robert Lundin Brown.
​
Picture

Elizabeth Lundin died on 12 February 1868. On 28 September 1870, Robert remarried, at the age of 77, to Marie Wilhelmina Henriette Pauline Wiersbitzky, who was aged 35. The marriage took place in Marie's home of Breslau in Prussia (now Wrocław in Poland). The following year, Reverend William Bruce was appointed as assistant and successor to Lundin Brown at Largo Free Church and a new church building was erected to a typical Free Church design. The rear of this former church is shown below, as it appears today, having spent decades converted for other uses.

Picture

Robert Lundin Brown died on 9 Apr 1877. His widow Marie went on to remarry in 1882, to Donald Fergusson, the recently retired minister of the Free Church in Leven. The following obituary was written by the Reverend Walter Wood of Elie and published in The Free Church Monthly, June 1, 1877, p.15​:

Another of our Disruption ministers has passed away from us. Mr. Brown was descended from a long line of clerical ancestors, the last of whom was minister of Newbattle, in Mid-Lothian. He was born in 1792, ordained minister of Largo in 1821, cast in his lot with the Free Church of Scotland in 1843, and died in his eighty-fifth year, on the ninth day of April 1877. He took the name of Lundin in 1855, on the succession of his wife to the estate of Auchtermairnie. The survivors of his family, two sons and two daughters, along with his wife by a second marriage, watched by his sick-bed during the few days through which he survived a stroke of paralysis, and were much cheered by his humble yet confident hope of eternal life through Jesus Christ. Some memorials of his last hours have been put into our hands, but the space at our disposal will not permit us to insert them. We make room for one saying, which may cheer and strengthen those who know that a similar trial awaits them. “I have not,” he said, “the bright and luminous views I would like to have; but I am trusting on my Saviour, and I sometimes feel even more than that — I sometimes feel overpowered.”

Picture

Brown was buried with his first wife Elizabeth Lundin at Kennoway where the following inscription was added to the family tomb:

In Beloved Memory of the Revd. Robert Lundin Brown of Largo
Who Entered Into His Rest 9th April 1877
In the 85th Year of His Age and
56th year of His Ministry 

Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.


If you know of any existing image of Reverend Robert Lundin Brown, please leave a comment or get in touch using the 'contact' link.


0 Comments

Summer Entertainment

11/7/2025

2 Comments

 
Picture

From the 1910s until the 1930s, the highlight of the summer season in Largo was the entertainment at the Pier Pavilion. The 1930s postcard image above shows that performances were scheduled for 3:15 and 8:15 at that particular time. The huge size of the sign advertising the show times suggests that promoters were keen that this information could be seen from up at Largo Station high above the pier, as well as from the passing buses. Perhaps the afternoon performance was more family-friendly in style, while the evening show was tailored for an older audience.
​
Picture

The image below provides a glimpse of the bench seating that was available to the audience. In fact there were two categories of seating on offer, for at least some of the pavilion's history - individual deck chairs at the front for a higher price and benches behind for the everyone else. The enclosure could accommodate up to 300 persons. Of course folks could try to escape paying altogether by loitering outside the fenced area. These non-ticket holders were pursued at regular intervals by can rattling members of the company.  

Picture

In the photograph below the seating  has been removed and there's a sense that the season may be over. The structure was dismantled at the end of summer and stored over the winter months. At least three different versions of this 'alfresco entertainments stance' were used over the decades. Ahead of each season, adverts were placed in publications such as The Stage for entertainers to let the stance, which came with dressing room facilities. Everything from song and dance to ventriloquism and stand-up comedy graced the stage, along with all manner of musical instruments. 
​
Picture
Picture

As the volume of motor traffic grew over time, concerns about the safety of the crowds near the road were aired. The 
25 June 1935 Leven Advertiser item below highlighted the dangers associated with the crowds leaving the pavilion at night onto the narrow harbour bridge and surrounding streets. The suggestion of widening the road never came to pass and the pier pavilion itself became a casualty of changing times and tastes.
​
Picture

As a footnote, spot the detail in the image below, including the bus stop sign hanging from the lamp post on the left hand side and the other bus stop sign at the start of the road bridge. On the Crusoe Hotel wall there is both a noticeboard and a taller board incorporating a clock, as well as the classic image of Robinson Crusoe on the hotel sign. Finally there is an old street lamp holder to the right of the hotel wall.
​
Picture
2 Comments

Andrew Baird, Butcher and Carter

4/7/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

The pair of images of Largo Kirk and Church Place above show that, while the appearance of the area is little changed in over a century, the way that this space is used has altered quite significantly. The green in front of the church was once a hub of village life, with its communal water pump and drying green. Theses features stand out in the foreground of the 1890s photograph, captured by Lady Henrietta Gilmour of Montrave, one of Scotland's earliest women photographers. Her photographic collection is now held by St Andrews University and the image is courtesy of University of St Andrews Libraries and Museums.

Picture

The buildings of Church Place were not just dwellings, as they are today. There are signs clearly legible on two of the buildings in the older photograph. One advertises A. Baird Butcher Carriages for Hire, and another A. Wilson Plumber, Tinsmith and Ironmonger. A number of buildings in the vicinity contained businesses (and smelly, noisy ones at that). The engraving below, drawn by James Stewart and engraved by Joseph Swan for the ‘History of the County of Fife’, by John Leighton 1840, also gives an impression of a bustling area where people carried out their occupations as well as lived. The village green hosted cattle, sheep, chickens and ducks.
​
Picture

One of the enterprises featured in the 1890s photograph was Andrew Baird's butcher (and carriages for hire). Andrew was born around 1848, as he is noted as aged 3 in the 1851 census. He was the illegitimate son of John Baird (a Methil based flax dresser) and Elspeth Keddie, who was likely employed in the same flax works. By the time of the 1861 census, Andrew was working in the mill, alongside his mother and brother. In 1871 he had changed both occupation and residence, and was an agricultural labourer, based at Balgrummo Farm near Scoonie.

As an agricultural labourer, Andrew would have moved from farm to farm. Eventually he met Margaret Lawson, with whom he had a child in 1873 in Leuchars. The pair went on the marry in 1876 (and eventually had a further thirteen children). By 1881, Andrew and Margaret had settled in Kirkton of Largo, where Andrew was working as a carter. The family, with four children at the time, lived on Main Street close to McGregor the butcher.

A few years later, in the mid-1880s the opportunity to move into the butcher trade arose, when another Kirkton butcher, 
David Simpson, moved to Lundin Mill's Hillhead Street. Andrew Baird took over Simpson's vacated premises at Church Place and was recorded there at the 1891 census along with his wife and nine children. Perhaps Andrew had learned some relevant skills from his time working on farms. However, his time as a butcher (or flesher) was not always smooth running. The piece below from 22 December 1888 Fife News tells us that Baird was prosecuted for the foul state of his pig styes.

Picture

The following year he was charged with possession of a dog without a license (see 24 May 1889 East of Fife Record below). Further below the 20 August 1890 Commercial Gazette recorded that Andrew Baird was in front of the debt recovery court. 
​

Picture
Picture

In 1894, the butcher premises in Church Place, consisting of a shop, house, stable, byre, etc., was put up for sale (see 1 September 1894 St Andrews Citizen below). This was the same year that Andrew and Margaret Baird's twin infant daughters Elsie and Oona died, aged nine months, from croup, within days of one another. The Baird family relocated to Lundin Mill, at a time when the village was on the cusp of expansion. The 1901 census finds the family living at 3 Rossini Place, just off Emsdorf Street, very close to the newly completed Lundin Links Hotel and the Lundin Links shops. Andrew was working as a carting contractor, assisted by his 13 year old son Andrew. Margaret and three of their younger children completed the household. Andrew rented a stable on Hillhead Street from the widow of butcher David Simpson (whose premises he had taken on a decade beforehand).
​
Picture

After a lengthy period of illness, Andrew died at Rossini Place on 12 March 1907. His widow, Margaret continued to live at Rossini Place. In the 1911 census she lived there with three of her sons, Andrew (who was a coal miner), John (a colliery pony-driver below ground) and Thomas (shop assistant at a licensed grocer), as well as a 9 year old grandson, also named Andrew. Below is the family headstone, which Andrew shares with his wife Margaret Lawson (who died in 1923) and their two daughters who died in infancy - twins Elsie and Oona.
​
Picture
0 Comments

    About

    This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!

    Search

    There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".

    Contact

    Categories

    All
    Antiquities
    Beach
    Boarding Houses
    Business
    Churches
    Clubs And Societies
    Drummochy
    Facilities
    Farming
    Fishing
    Golf
    Houses
    Keil's Den
    Largo Law
    Lower Largo
    Masseney Braes
    New Gilston
    People
    Railway
    School
    Shops
    Standing Stanes
    Streets
    Tourism
    Upper Largo
    Viaduct
    War

    Archives

    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    February 2023
    January 2023
    December 2022
    November 2022
    October 2022
    September 2022
    August 2022
    July 2022
    June 2022
    May 2022
    April 2022
    March 2022
    February 2022
    January 2022
    December 2021
    November 2021
    October 2021
    September 2021
    August 2021
    July 2021
    June 2021
    May 2021
    April 2021
    March 2021
    February 2021
    January 2021
    December 2020
    November 2020
    October 2020
    September 2020
    August 2020
    July 2020
    June 2020
    May 2020
    April 2020
    March 2020
    February 2020
    January 2020
    December 2019
    November 2019
    October 2019
    September 2019
    August 2019
    July 2019
    June 2019
    May 2019
    April 2019
    March 2019
    February 2019
    January 2019
    December 2018
    November 2018
    October 2018
    September 2018
    August 2018
    July 2018
    June 2018
    May 2018
    April 2018
    March 2018
    February 2018
    January 2018
    December 2017
    November 2017
    October 2017
    September 2017
    August 2017
    July 2017
    June 2017
    May 2017
    April 2017
    March 2017
    February 2017
    January 2017
    December 2016
    November 2016
    October 2016
    September 2016
    August 2016
    July 2016
    June 2016
    May 2016
    April 2016
    March 2016
    February 2016
    January 2016
    December 2015
    November 2015
    October 2015
    September 2015
    August 2015
    July 2015
    June 2015
    May 2015
    April 2015
    March 2015
    February 2015
    January 2015
    December 2014
    November 2014
    October 2014
    September 2014
    August 2014
    July 2014
    June 2014
    May 2014
    April 2014
    March 2014
    February 2014
    January 2014
    December 2013
    November 2013
    October 2013

    Links

    Largo Baywatch Blog
    Fife Family History Society
    ​
    Polish Parachute Brigade Info​

    RSS Feed

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.