VINTAGE LUNDIN LINKS AND LARGO
  • Blog

Benjamin Connell Cox (1854-1924)

31/10/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

Benjamin Connell Cox was born in Clifden, Galway, Ireland in 1854. The son of a surgeon, Benjamin had a twin brother named Joshua John Cox. A couple of years after the birth of the twins, the family moved to Scotland - initially settling in Edinburgh before moving to Innerleithen in the Borders. By 1871, Joshua was studying medicine, while Benjamin had become an apprentice at a woollen mill. A decade later, Benjamin was in Selkirk, employed as a commercial traveller for George Roberts and Co. of Forrest Mill. In 1888 he married Harriet Kate McDowell in Birkenhead, Cheshire and they went on to have four children: Muriel (1890), Elsie (1891), Winifred (1894) and John (1900). 

The family lived at Mauldsheugh in Selkirk and over the years, Benjamin worked his way up within Roberts and Co. to become a director of the firm. He was one of the principal shareholders when the firm became a limited company in 1892. The business went on to prosper, becoming a leader in the Scottish woollen industry by the early 1900s. In 1903, Cox retired as managing director (see Southern Reporter piece below from 5 February 1903).  
​
Picture
Picture

The Cox family relocated to Fife, residing initially at St Andrews. However, by May 1904, they had secured the lease of Largo House, and of the shootings on Largo Law (see St Andrews Citizen of 28 May above). They quickly became prominent in their new community. The piece below from the 17 August 1905 Leven Advertiser describes how a group of Juvenile Templars were entertained by Mr and Mrs Cox. The family appeared to have been supporters of the temperance movement. In a 1907, when seeking a groom to work at Largo House, the advert noted that "abstainer preferred".​
​
Picture
Picture

Benjamin Cox gave talks locally as well, such as the example above on the subject of pond life, illustrated with lantern slides. He had joined the Parish Council by 1908 and held a variety of roles within it over the years that followed. When Largo Miniature Rifle Club was formed on 1 December 1908, Benjamin became Honorary President. The following year, he was elected Captain of Lundin Golf Club (see 18 August Leven Advertiser below). The year 1909 was also when the Cox family collected their new Daimler car.

Picture
Picture

Cox's tenure as Captain was an eventful one at Lundin Golf Club. The Club's new 18 hole course was completed later in 1909 and on 29 November he had the honour of driving the first ball, using a ‘Dreadnought’ club donated by Sir John Gilmour. Cox presented the Club with a silver cup to mark the occasion (see 1 Dec 1909 Leven Advertiser snippet below). He also presided at opening of Lundin Ladies new course in April 1910. The photograph further below of Cox seated was taken during his spell as Golf Club Captain.

Picture
Picture
Picture

In the census of 1911, which was taken on 2 April, Mr and Mrs Cox and their two eldest children Muriel and Elsie, were away in London - residing at the recently-completed Berner's Hotel on Berners Street just off Oxford Street. Younger daughter Winifred (Freda) was at school in St Andrews, while son John was at Ardvreck boarding school in Crieff. This stay in London likely marked the period between the end of their lease of Largo House and their move to Gilston House. Shortly afterwards it was reported (in 29 April 1911 Fifeshire Advertiser item below) that the family had taken up a lease of Gilston House, between Upper Largo and Largoward.

Picture

The advert below from three years earlier in Country Life magazine, describes Gilston House in detail. At the time, the house had 14 bedrooms, 5 public rooms, extensive well-stocked gardens, stables, tennis courts and access to large shooting grounds. The Cox family remained there for around eight years before making a return to Largo House in 1919. During the First World War, Benjamin acted as Chief Special Constable for one of the Fife districts. He was also a member of the Appeal Tribunal for Fife under the Military Service Acts and of the County War Pensions Committee.
​
Picture

Once the family were back at Largo House, youngest daughter Freda Cox started the 1st Largo Girl Guide Company in October 1920. She acted as the Captain of the Guides until 1924. The 1921 census, records Benjamin, Harriet and Elsie at Largo House along with seven servants (see details below). 
​
Picture

As well as a stint on the Parish Council, Benjamin became a member of Fife County Council. His involvement lasted for nine years, including a spell as Convener of the County Finance Committee. However, in December 1922 he retired from those duties owing to poor health. Early in 1923, his twin brother Joshua John Cox O.B.E. died on a visit to Largo House (see below from 27 January Fifeshire Advertiser).
​
Picture

Benjamin himself passed away on 17 March 1924 at Largo House aged 70 years. The 22 March 1924 Dundee Courier piece below details the "large company of mourners" that followed the hearse from the service in Largo House to the cemetery. Further below is an image of the headstone, which is shared with his wife Harriet, who lived until 1956 and to the age of 93 years.
​
Picture
Picture
0 Comments

Motor Car at Largo House

24/10/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

The photograph above, which was also published as a postcard, features a striking looking motor car waiting at the entrance of Largo House. The image also features a couple sitting on a bench and another person on the entrance stairs. However, it is the car which particularly catches the eye and back on 18 September 1974, the East Fife Mail posed the question - what was the type and date of the vintage vehicle?

Picture

The answer was quickly forthcoming from Miss Elizabeth Tavendale Sime of North Feus, Upper Largo. The car belonged to long-term tenant of Largo House, Benjamin Connell Cox and it was a Daimler purchased in 1909. Her father, Charles Sime (a joiner by trade who worked for Cox) had accompanied Mr Cox's chauffeur to England to collect the vehicle. The image below shows the same convertible Daimler in more detail - chauffeur at the wheel and multiple female passengers on board (perhaps the ladies of the Cox family). The Daimler was the motor car brand of choice of the royal family at the time and was advertised as "the motor triumph of the Edwardian era". It was a car that was well-matched to the grandeur of Largo House. Further below is an advert for a very similar model of Daimler.

Picture
Picture

​Benjamin Cox, along with his wife and four children, then ranging in age from 3 to 13, took up residence in Largo House in the summer of 1904 (see 24 June East of Fife Record piece below). The tweed and woollen manufacturer from Selkirk, had retired to St Andrews prior to taking up the tenancy of Largo House, where the family remained until 1911. Benjamin was Captain of Lundin Golf Club 1909-11. The family moved to Gilston House in 1911 before returning to Largo House in 1919, where Benjamin died in 1924. The chauffeur for the Cox family was George Bell.

Picture
Picture
0 Comments

Servants at Largo House

17/10/2025

0 Comments

 
Picture

The previous post considered the interior of Largo House as a newly constructed Georgian mansion house, focussing on the "upstairs" richly-furnished public rooms. However, the "below stairs", more functional parts of the house are also interesting to consider. Servants in various roles would have worked over the decades in spaces such as the kitchen, scullery, cellar, pantry, washing house, laundry and stables. Historical tax records, recently published online, list the names of thousands of domestic servants across 18th century Scotland, including those that worked at Largo House for James Durham Esquire.

In Scotland, taxes on
 male servants were assessed between 1777 and 1798, and taxes on female servants between 1785 and 1792. Throughout all of that time period James Durham (1754-1840) was the owner of Largo House. Shown above is the earliest example of one of his servant tax returns - detailing the male servants at Largo House in 1777. The list comprised three individuals: James Brouster (house servant), Thomas Taitt (coachman) and Thomas Anderson (gardener). Taxes were levied on wealthy households that employed "non-essential servants", such domestic help.  Roles considered "essential", such as farm labourers and factory workers, were exempt from this tax. 

Picture

Over the whole period that these taxes applied (1777 to 1798), James Durham had servants in the following roles at Largo House:

Housekeeper
Cook
Cook's Maid
Laundry Maid
Chambermaid
House Servant
Butler
Coachman
Footman
Chaise Driver
Gamekeeper
Gardener

The total number of servants, and the roles listed, varied a little from year to year. There was of course a clear male/female division of roles, with the females covering the roles of housekeeper, cook, cook's maid, laundry maid and chambermaid, while male servants carried out the roles of butler, coachman, footman, gamekeeper and gardener. 


Picture
Thomas Bardwell, butler at Woodton Hall, Norfolk in 1774

​The butler was the head of the male domestic staff, whose responsibilities included overseeing the wine cellar, managing the silver and other tableware, and supervising the footmen and other male servants. The butler would also be in charge of setting the table and serving meals. He would tend to welcome guests and be the point of communication between the master of the house and the staff. Supporting the butler would be the footman - performing a wide range of duties from attending doors to serving meals, and from shifting heavy items to running all manner of errands.

The housekeeper was in charge of the house as a whole, ensuring its appearance was always as expected. Other female servants and kitchen staff would report to her. This included the laundry maid who was responsible for washing, drying and ironing fine linen for family and guests, as well as the servants’ linen. Laundry would have been a long and laborious process, involving boiling water over a coal or wood fired stove, using wash boards and dolly tubs. Cast iron irons would also have been heated on a stove.

Picture
The Scullery Maid; Jean-Baptiste Simeon Chardin; Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow
Picture
Picture

A few examples of long-serving staff at Largo House during this period included:

Alexander Norval (or Norvil) - Footman from 1791 until his death in 1797. The record of his burial at Largo is shown above.

George Stein - Gardener between 1786 and 1798

Margaret (Peggy) Lawson - who progressed from Cook's Maid to Cook between 1785 and 1791

James Millar - initially described as a "chaise-driver" but later "coachman" between 1787 and 1795

Thomas Keay - Butler between 1795 and 1797
​
If you had an ancestor that worked among the domestic staff at Largo House, please leave a comment.

Picture
Picture
Gamekeeper and Cook by David Wilkie; Bradford Museums and Galleries
Read more about the life of a Georgian servant here: ​www.nts.org.uk/stories/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-servant 
Picture
0 Comments

Largo House Interior

10/10/2025

1 Comment

 
Picture

The grand exterior of Largo House, now sadly obscured by vegetation, is familiar to many, from both images and from memory. The interior of this now ruinous mansion house however remains more mysterious. Photographs taken inside the house while still occupied appear to be non-existent. It's intriguing to imagine how the inside might have appeared when the house was first completed back in the 18th century. So, what can be pieced together from looking at similar grand homes of that era and from the few fragments of Largo House-specific information that survive?

A typical Scottish Georgian mansion featured distinct "upstairs" and "below stairs" areas. The upstairs public rooms were 
richly decorated and furnished - suitable for aristocratic living and for elegant social functions. Conversely, the areas inhabited by hard-working domestic staff were simple and practical. Rooms such as the drawing room, dining room and bedrooms were designed with a focus on symmetry, light, space and comfort. ​A sense of the floor plan of the original core of Largo House is provided by the drone photograph below. Note the central stair hall surrounded by many chimney flues.

Picture

Surviving records suggest a colourful and luxurious interior existed when Largo House was new. One room, described as the "low red room" was "partly hung with arras". Arras is a tapestry hung as a wall decoration, usually with a rich and complex stitched design. The term is derived from the French city of Arras, which was a major centre of tapestry production in the 14th and 15th centuries. There was a "blue room" where the bed was hung with "blue turk hangings" (turk being a type of fabric used in upholstery at the time), as well as a "green room". There was a "mid room" and a "high mid room" (which, unusually for the time, was hung with tartan at the foot of the bed).

Picture

​Accounts dating to 1766, from Young and Trotter, the Edinburgh upholsterer and carpeting merchant, detail that Largo House was supplied with "blue and orange carpeting", as well as "window curtains of cherry" with "yellow tassels". The Drawing Room was furnished with "blue silk damask chairs". Damask is a reversible, woven fabric that features a distinct pattern created by a special weave. Named after the city of Damascus, where it was produced in the Middle Ages, damask was originally made from silk. Used for upholstery, curtains, and table linens, its pattern features a contrast between matte and shiny yarns. 

There were also references to a "bed hung with red cambrot" and an "easie chair covered with yellow silk". A "large fine staircase lantern" was also ordered for the house from Young and Trotter. The image collages above and below are designed to evoke a sense of what the interior of Largo House might have looked like during the late 18th century - incorporating some of the known objects, colours and textures.​

Picture

The advert below for Largo House furnisher Young and Trotter appeared in the 22 November 1750 Caledonian Mercury. Based at the Luckenbooths on the High Street Edinburgh, the firm was established in the 1740s by Thomas Trotter and Robert Young. The sign above their shop, and the eye catcher in the advert below, featured a pelican bleeding from the breast to feed her young. 

Picture

Another supplier of interiors to Largo House was William Hamilton, the Edinburgh upholsterer and cabinet maker. James Durham commissioned furniture from him in 1769/70 - including a large mahogany bedstead. Hamilton was a competitor to Young and Trotter, although eventually the two firms combined. While still operating under his own name, William Hamilton is known to have executed commissions for the Duke of Argyll (1758-61), Lord Milton (1764-5), Sir James Clerk (1770-2) and Balfour Ramsay (1768-9), as well as James Durham of Largo (1769-70). 

It is also well-documented that architect John Adam (brother of Robert Adam) supplied a chimney piece for Largo House. The specification on the account (which was dated May 1759), was "statuary marble" (that is marble of exceptional quality - literally meaning suitable for statues). Further details of the piece specified "ogee moulding" (a decorative trim with an S-shaped profile which features a concave curve that flows into a convex curve) and "dentils" (small, tooth-like rectangular blocks arranged in a repeating pattern). 
​
Picture

No doubt there would have been many paintings on the walls, including family portraits and pieces by favourite Scottish artists. These would have been added to over the years that the Durham family inhabited Largo House, which was up until 1868, when the Largo estate was sold to William Johnson of Lathrisk. If you have further information on the interior of Largo House in its heyday please do get in touch or leave a comment. 

1 Comment

Genesis Creations

3/10/2025

1 Comment

 
Picture

The previous post looked at the building above on Mill Wynd in Lundin Links, which was built in 1973 as Scotland's first custom-designed silversmith studio. When it was vacated in the late 1980s, a new creative enterprise moved in -  Genesis Creations Limited - makers of hand painted figurines. The origins of that enterprise dated back to 1986, when St Andrews-born sculptress Carol Lynn Penny (pictured below) and her partner Neil Campbell, began to make Nesslets (dragons hatching from eggs). They initially sold these through a couple of outlets, including the Loch Ness Centre in Drumnadrochit. Successful sales there led to the establishment of Genesis Creations in August 1987.

Picture
Picture


Picture

Support from North East Fife Enterprise Trust and others enabled Genesis to purchase the studio in Lundin Links, which they moved into in May 1988. Over the next few months, the company grew from 3 to 15 employees. The article above, from the 19 October 1988 Scotsman, charted the story of the company's growth. At the time the workshop's capacity was several thousand pieces a month, with a range of 23 different models. As well as selling through a growing number of stockists within the UK, Genesis sent products to Germany, Japan, Canada, the USA, Norway, Spain, Austria and Switzerland.

​The range of products comprised fantasy creatures, from the original 
Nesslets (hatching dragons), to Draglets (fully grown dragons) and Mins (tiny animals in shells), as well as a heritage collection, which included models of real life castles. The Nesslets became the best known range and were produced in red and green. Carol Lynn Penny acted as Creative Director for the expanding business. The Dundee Courier of 9 November 1988 also covered the growth of Genesis Creations. The photograph below of Carol and Neil inside the Lundin Links studio appeared, along with the news that orders totalling over £80,000 had resulted from a trip to the recent Highland Trade Fair in Aviemore. 

Picture
Picture
​
By 1990, with large numbers of people calling into the studio, and a lack of display space to show the wide range of products, the Mill Wynd premises underwent extensive alterations. A new Dragon Showroom (seen above) opened to the public and trade. Collectors from around the world would write or phone asking to visit the studio - keen to watch the creation of a piece that they already owned or were considering buying. The showroom also offered retailers looking to stock products an opportunity to view the full range of designs (which at the time numbered around 100 options). The office also held a list of approximately 1000 stockists in the UK and the showroom was open seven days a week between 09:30 and 17:00.

Picture

According to the 6 December 1990 Dundee Courier, the sculpting was often undertaken in wax, which was used to create a silicone mould. From the mould, a figurine was cast using various powdered rocks, including marble, limestone and other ingredients. Afterwards, there were a number of finishing stages, before the pieces were hand-painted by a team of artists. Carol explained that new ideas began with a sketch and that there was much experimentation with colour and material before a new piece was finalised. Neil provided the expertise on the technical side, including innovative casting methods. By the end of 1990, it was reported that there were around 50 employees.

The new designs being created for 1991 were known collectively as the Geomites - with individual characters named Orbit, Cubit, Tribit and Tubit - each creature locked into a different geometric shaped base. Other products available included gargoyles, fantasy castles and dragonets in a range of poses (on rocks, candles, oysters, books, etc.). A short mythical backstory tended to accompany each piece. 

Picture

Unfortunately, the early 1990s was a period of recession and the business hit financial problems. Genesis Creations folded in 1991 but some of its products were taken over by Clarecraft, another company which produced fantasy figurines. Some dragons continued to be made by Clarecraft until its closure in 2005. Do you have a Genesis creation? Did you visit the workshop? Comments welcome.

Picture
1 Comment

    About

    This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!

    Search

    There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".

    Contact

    Categories

    All
    Antiquities
    Beach
    Boarding Houses
    Business
    Churches
    Clubs And Societies
    Drummochy
    Facilities
    Farming
    Fishing
    Golf
    Houses
    Keil's Den
    Largo Law
    Lower Largo
    Masseney Braes
    New Gilston
    People
    Railway
    School
    Shops
    Standing Stanes
    Streets
    Tourism
    Upper Largo
    Viaduct
    War

    Archives

    January 2026
    December 2025
    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    February 2023
    January 2023
    December 2022
    November 2022
    October 2022
    September 2022
    August 2022
    July 2022
    June 2022
    May 2022
    April 2022
    March 2022
    February 2022
    January 2022
    December 2021
    November 2021
    October 2021
    September 2021
    August 2021
    July 2021
    June 2021
    May 2021
    April 2021
    March 2021
    February 2021
    January 2021
    December 2020
    November 2020
    October 2020
    September 2020
    August 2020
    July 2020
    June 2020
    May 2020
    April 2020
    March 2020
    February 2020
    January 2020
    December 2019
    November 2019
    October 2019
    September 2019
    August 2019
    July 2019
    June 2019
    May 2019
    April 2019
    March 2019
    February 2019
    January 2019
    December 2018
    November 2018
    October 2018
    September 2018
    August 2018
    July 2018
    June 2018
    May 2018
    April 2018
    March 2018
    February 2018
    January 2018
    December 2017
    November 2017
    October 2017
    September 2017
    August 2017
    July 2017
    June 2017
    May 2017
    April 2017
    March 2017
    February 2017
    January 2017
    December 2016
    November 2016
    October 2016
    September 2016
    August 2016
    July 2016
    June 2016
    May 2016
    April 2016
    March 2016
    February 2016
    January 2016
    December 2015
    November 2015
    October 2015
    September 2015
    August 2015
    July 2015
    June 2015
    May 2015
    April 2015
    March 2015
    February 2015
    January 2015
    December 2014
    November 2014
    October 2014
    September 2014
    August 2014
    July 2014
    June 2014
    May 2014
    April 2014
    March 2014
    February 2014
    January 2014
    December 2013
    November 2013
    October 2013

    Links

    Largo Baywatch Blog
    Fife Family History Society
    ​
    Polish Parachute Brigade Info​

    RSS Feed

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.