VINTAGE LUNDIN LINKS AND LARGO
  • Blog

Lundin Ladies Course - Holes 8 and 9

17/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Finishing off a brief tour around the Lundin Ladies Golf Course, the view below is the 8th fairway, which runs alongside the 1st hole in the opposite direction.  Underneath that, is a view of the 9th tee, which lies low down next to the Hatton burn. The 9th green is not visible from the tee, so a marker post helps to guide the player.
Picture
Picture
Picture
The image to the left shows the 9th green (surrounded by a few bunkers) and the clubhouse.  There is a bell just to the right of the green which should be rung if there is anyone playing behind at the 9th tee (out of view) so that they know the green is clear.

I have very happy memories of playing here and it really is a delightful course. These 10-year-old images don't do it justice - you can't beat going round for real!

0 Comments

Lundin Ladies Course - Holes 5-7

16/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
After a walk up and down the slope, the course winds back towards the club house.  Upon reaching the 5th tee, perspective shifts towards Largo Law - another appealing part of the landscape here.  
Then the 6th hole (see left) which is the shortest and the best chance of a par or better.  I wonder how many 'holes in one' have been achieved at this hole over the years!  

Picture
Hole 7 requires a burn to be negotiated.  Not too tricky for the experienced player but as a child learning the game, I often ended up in the water.  The up-side of this mistake was the opportunity to use the long-handled scoop to fish the ball back out!

Another view near the 7th tee and the Hatton burn below.  Conclusion of this mini tour tomorrow.

Picture
0 Comments

Lundin Ladies Course - Holes 3 and 4

15/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
Continuing a mini tour of the Lundin Ladies Golf Course, for those who either don't know it or maybe haven't visited for a while... This section of the course was added in 1930, with the 3rd hole requiring a drive up the hill and the 4th a drive back down. Players are rewarded for the slight climb with a panoramic view across the Forth (see below) as well as a glimpse of Lundin Tower (also shown below).  More detail on Lundin Tower to follow in a future post.  More tomorrow about this lovely nine hole course.
Picture
Picture
0 Comments

Lundin Ladies Course - Holes 1 and 2

14/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
The view above is looking back at the 1st hole from the 2nd fairway.  Hole 1 runs parallel to the houses on Leven Road, ending just beyond the Montrave Hall.  The white starter's hut can be seen  to the left of the Standing Stanes.  There used to be a putting area tucked in the corner close to the first tee, which I enjoyed using as a youngster.  The course has long been an excellent venue for children to learn the game of golf.  
Picture
The next image is looking down the fairway, through the Standing Stanes, towards Pilmuir Cottages and the 2nd green. Quite a unique hazard, the 3 Standing Stanes date back around four thousand years.  More detail on these impressive monoliths in a future post.  Images of holes 3 and 4 to follow tomorrow.
0 Comments

Lundin Ladies Golf Club Part 2

13/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
Since being set out at its present location, the Lundin Ladies Golf Course has seen a few changes.  In 1930 there was a significant extension to the course with holes 1-5 altered - the current holes 3 and 4 taking up the new land ('up the hill and down the hill').  There was disruption during both world wars.  A brief report in the Courier on 18 February 1943 simply stated:
 "Largo and Lundin Links Ladies Club are to be deprived of part of their course.  Five holes, with an additional green, are to be left.  Remainder is to be ploughed up."  

In 1991, the Lundin Ladies Golf Club celebrated its centenary.  At that time a book was produced detailing the history of the club and a number of commemorative items were made.  Two of those are pictured below, as is a souvenir marking the millennium in 2000.  If you recall the centenary celebrations, or indeed other events at the club, please comment.

Picture
0 Comments

Lundin Ladies Golf Club

12/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
Following on from yesterday's post, this 1990 view of the Lundin Ladies club house also shows some of the old Lundin Mill Farm buildings to the left (and the telephone exchange building beyond on the Cupar Road).  Thought to be the oldest ladies golf club in the world, the Lundin Ladies was formally constituted in 1891.  However, the year before, on 26 August 1890, the Dundee Courier reported under the headline "New Golf Green at Largo" that: 

"Yesterday morning a ladies golf course was opened at Lundin Links.  The course has been laid out by Mr Glover of the Epping Forest Club, London and is situated to the east of the Lundin and Leven links course.  There are twenty holes in the new course, and in the forenoon a large number of ladies engaged in a game."
Picture
On Thursday 29 July 1897, the Lundin Ladies Golf Clubhouse was opened by Lady Gilmour in front of a large crowd.  The next day the Dundee Courier listed many of those present, described the speeches given and gave the results of the competitions subsequently played that day.  On 19 April 1897, the Courier had run the pictured sketch of the new clubhouse.  The features of the building were described (general room, dressing room, and the usual offices) and the "spacious verandah" was picked out as the "outstanding feature".  
Mr Gillespie of St Andrews was named as the architect.  This would have been James Ross Gillespie (1854-1914) whose profile on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects suggests that his practice was involved in a number of developments in Lundin Links, including the Post Office, D.M. Patrick's golf club makers house and workshop, and the Bowling and Tennis Club buildings.  See http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=100030

Over the next decade or so the ladies course shifted size and location using land next to the Lundin Golf Club.  However, in 1908, such was the popularity of golf in the area, that the Lundin and Leven courses were reconfigured and the Ladies moved to the Standing Stanes Park and adjoining fields.  The clubhouse was moved to its present location and a new nine-hole course laid out by James Braid.  The new course was officially opened on 15 April 1910.  For further detail and images see: http://www.lundinladiesgolfclub.co.uk/history.asp

0 Comments

Lundin Mill Farm

11/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
The above postcard image was taken from the edge of the Lundin Ladies Golf Course looking towards Largo Law.  Taken during the inter-war period, it shows a very rural scene of farm buildings, haystacks, chickens and the Keil burn.  In 1995, the farm steading and mill complex was developed into a new Bett housing estate named Penrice Park (after long-standing tenants of the farm).  The area was surveyed by archaeologists at the time of its redevelopment and it was concluded that the oldest buildings still standing at that time dated back to the 1830s or 1840s.  Some of the old farm buildings can be seen in the background below - the foreground being the 9th green and club house of the Lundin Ladies Golf Course.  This image was created by stitching together a couple of freeze frames from an old cine film taken in the early 1960s.
Picture
0 Comments

Largo Parish War Memorial

10/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
Designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, the Largo Parish War Memorial was unveiled on 19 June 1921.  The Dundee Courier the next day reported upon this tribute to the fallen, describing its commanding position at the crossroads close to Largo House.  The Celtic cross-topped memorial included Scottish emblems and a sword design.  

Picture

At the unveiling ceremony, pictured left, the Sheriff-Principal J.A. Fleming, K.C. stated that 51 men had fallen of the 284 men of the parish which had served.  Their names were inscribed on three panels and were read out during the event (the fourth panel is shown below).  Music was provided by the Largo Brass Band and a choir.  Wreaths were placed around the base of the memorial and a bugler sounded the 'Last Post'.  The singing of the National Anthem brought proceedings to a close.

After World War Two, panels were added to the wall behind the original memorial, containing the names of those who were lost between 1939 and 1945. These two panels contain 16 names between them.

We will remember them.

Picture
0 Comments

Lower Largo Pier

9/11/2013

0 Comments

 
Picture
This image, from a postcard sent in August 1903, has been annotated with the words "Down by the ferry" suggesting the visitor who sent it had arrived in Largo by ferry.  If so, this would have been one of the later and rarer ferry trips to this destination.  The New Statistical Account of Scotland mentions daily steam-boat service between Largo and Newhaven. This ran from the 1820s after the completion of the chain pier at Newhaven (which was destroyed by a storm in 1898).  Once the railways expanded and the roads improved, ferry services dwindled.
0 Comments

"Smoking Concert" at Largo

8/11/2013

0 Comments

 
A 'smoking concert' or 'smoker' was a live performance of music before an audience of men only, popular during the Victorian era.  Men would smoke and speak of politics while listening to live music.  One such event was held on 21 August 1890 in the granary attached to the Crusoe Hotel.  Arranged by the summer visitors, the concert was in aid of the building fund of the Lundin Golf Club.  The Dundee Advertiser described the scene:

"Thanks to a bevy of ladies, a granary loft was converted into a beautiful apartment decorated with flags and bannerettes, floral devices, and trophies of  clubs and cleeks.  Over 150 visitors and residents were present....a very pleasant evening was spent."
Picture
The Dundee Courier of 26 August elaboated further and included an accompanying sketch of the scene at Largo pier...

"For the first time in its existence, Largo indulged one night last week in the luxury of a "smoking concert." ...The old Crusoe Hotel was gaily decorated with flags, and the interior...was very prettily set out with floral decorations, mottoes, and lanterns.....It is fully expected that the proceeds from the concert will free the clubhouse from debt."

Crusoe Hotel
An up-to-date photograph of the hotel shows that the former granary (the section closest to camera) is now part of the hotel.  An extension has also been built to the right and the hotel uses the pier for parking and for outdoor dining during the summer.  It's a picturesque setting - no doubt used for many a special event over the years!

0 Comments
<<Previous
Forward>>

    About

    This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!

    Search

    There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".

    Contact

    Categories

    All
    Antiquities
    Beach
    Boarding Houses
    Business
    Churches
    Clubs And Societies
    Drummochy
    Facilities
    Farming
    Fishing
    Golf
    Houses
    Keil's Den
    Largo Law
    Lower Largo
    Masseney Braes
    New Gilston
    People
    Railway
    School
    Shops
    Standing Stanes
    Streets
    Tourism
    Upper Largo
    Viaduct
    War

    Archives

    February 2026
    January 2026
    December 2025
    November 2025
    October 2025
    September 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    June 2025
    May 2025
    April 2025
    March 2025
    February 2025
    January 2025
    December 2024
    November 2024
    October 2024
    September 2024
    August 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    February 2024
    January 2024
    December 2023
    November 2023
    October 2023
    September 2023
    August 2023
    July 2023
    June 2023
    May 2023
    April 2023
    March 2023
    February 2023
    January 2023
    December 2022
    November 2022
    October 2022
    September 2022
    August 2022
    July 2022
    June 2022
    May 2022
    April 2022
    March 2022
    February 2022
    January 2022
    December 2021
    November 2021
    October 2021
    September 2021
    August 2021
    July 2021
    June 2021
    May 2021
    April 2021
    March 2021
    February 2021
    January 2021
    December 2020
    November 2020
    October 2020
    September 2020
    August 2020
    July 2020
    June 2020
    May 2020
    April 2020
    March 2020
    February 2020
    January 2020
    December 2019
    November 2019
    October 2019
    September 2019
    August 2019
    July 2019
    June 2019
    May 2019
    April 2019
    March 2019
    February 2019
    January 2019
    December 2018
    November 2018
    October 2018
    September 2018
    August 2018
    July 2018
    June 2018
    May 2018
    April 2018
    March 2018
    February 2018
    January 2018
    December 2017
    November 2017
    October 2017
    September 2017
    August 2017
    July 2017
    June 2017
    May 2017
    April 2017
    March 2017
    February 2017
    January 2017
    December 2016
    November 2016
    October 2016
    September 2016
    August 2016
    July 2016
    June 2016
    May 2016
    April 2016
    March 2016
    February 2016
    January 2016
    December 2015
    November 2015
    October 2015
    September 2015
    August 2015
    July 2015
    June 2015
    May 2015
    April 2015
    March 2015
    February 2015
    January 2015
    December 2014
    November 2014
    October 2014
    September 2014
    August 2014
    July 2014
    June 2014
    May 2014
    April 2014
    March 2014
    February 2014
    January 2014
    December 2013
    November 2013
    October 2013

    Links

    Largo Baywatch Blog
    Fife Family History Society
    ​
    Polish Parachute Brigade Info​

    RSS Feed

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.