"Largo Parish Church was opened at 10.45 am on Sunday. The service was conducted by the Rev. D. MacMichael. The bell was tolled for the two minutes' silence. The choir rendered an anthem. A collection was taken on behalf of the Earl Haig funds. There was a large turnout of ex-service men and members of the congregation. The Boy Scouts and Cubs with Rev. Mr Rough and Miss Simpson, assisted by Miss Harris, had a parade to the War Memorial in the afternoon, at 3 o'clock, where they laid down wreaths in memory of the men belonging to Largo who lost their lives in the War. Rev. Mr Rough gave a short address."
The memorial had been unveiled seven years previously. Rev. Duncan MacMichael had been minister of Largo Kirk since 1904 and would remain so until his death in November 1943. The session minute some days after his death spoke of "a man of wide sympathy, of winsome humorous and approachable personality" who "held the esteem and affection of nearly three generations of his parishioners."