*Tarvit House (pictured above) was sold for demolition in 1954 and is not to be confused with Hill of Tarvit Mansion. Finally razed in 1963, the site of Tarvit House is now a residential area of the town of Cupar.
At Lundin Links, Mary Haymes became a generous and respected member of the community. It cannot be coincidental that Mary was drawn to being active in the church, and in particular in teaching Sunday School, as her father was a rector in the Church of England. The Fife Herald of 11 January 1872, relates an occasion when Miss Haymes had entertained 33 of her Sabbath Class to a treat in the Drawing Room of Aithernie House....
"After partaking of tea, the party proceeded to the drawing-room, which was tastefully decorated with evergreens, and where was a splendid Christmas tree that attracted considerable attention....Before leaving each of the boys was presented with a little writing desk and accompaniments, and the girls with a ladies companion."
The images below show examples of the type of gifts given that evening. I'm sure that the memories of such acts of kindness lived long in the minds of local people even after the death of Miss Haymes.
"...long been identified with every Christian and charitable work in the Parish, and although for many years she had had to be wheeled in an invalid chair and suffered much physical pain, she was unremitting in her exertions both for the temporal comfort and spiritual welfare of the people, and seemed never to weary in her labour of love. For nearly 30 years she had personally conducted a mother's meeting, besides lending valuable aid in the formation and promotion of a mission Sabbath school in Lundin Mill. She did much for the temperance cause, and was a member of the Lodge of Good Templars."
The chief mourners were her cousin, James Rigg of Tarvit, and General Dalyell, a relation on her late father's side. Her Aunts Mary and Margaret Rigg, had predeceased Miss Haymes in 1883 and 1891 respectively.