In the mid-19th century, according to newspaper reports, some Fife towns and villages were looking at "the prospect of our streets now being lighted with gas" and were "putting up posts and lamps" and looking at employing a lamp lighter "in season". Other towns at the time were not so fortunate. On 20 December 1849 the Fife Herald reported that in Kennoway "there are no lamps to illuminate the streets" and "everyone must splash through the mud and mire the best way he can, walking is often dangerous and always disagreeable". It was suggested that there, in the absence of a gas works, perhaps "a few oil lamps could be got, at no great expense, to dissapate the gloom of our streets, during the long dark nights of winter, when there is no moonlight".
Information regarding the early street lighting of Lundin Links and Lower Largo is harder to find but by 1900 a fund-raising exercise was carried out to bring street lighting to Lundin Links and Drummochy (see feature further below from St Andrews Citizen). The street lighting of the villages has been through a number of upgrades since.