The longest-serving proprietor of the Lundin Links Hotel was Alfred Muriset (see photo) who, alongside his wife Jean, was at the helm for 34 years. Alfred Henri Olivier Chapman Muriset was born in 1893 in Edinburgh, to parents who were both teachers of French. He had worked in the whisky and wine trade prior to purchasing the hotel in May 1932. During their tenure, the Murisets developed the hotel greatly. In 1935 new public bar opened and a cocktail lounge was created in the place of the original bar. The bar counter and rear gantry moved from the original bar to the new public one. The cocktail bar featured oak panelling, a brick fireplace and electric lighting, according to the Leven Advertiser of 11 June 1935. Extensions were made to the hotel in 1950. The Murisets also owned a number of houses in the village, which provided additional accommodation when the main hotel was full.
Having already taken part in the First World War, Mr Muriset would also participate in the Second World War, leaving his wife (who was also trained in catering) to look after the hotel, supported by long-term member of staff Miss Cameron. Standards at the 21 bedroom hotel were high and many memorable functions took place there during the Muriset era. At the time of his retirement in 1966, Mr Muriset reflected on the many changes that had taken place in the hotel and catering trade over the decades. He commented in the East Fife Mail of 9 November 1966 that there had been a 100% increase in the number of people eating out at hotels and that quality of food had greatly improved. He remarked that "running a hotel is very much a 24 hours a day job - but I have enjoyed it".
Mr Muriset was also known as a pioneer of further education in the catering trade. He had helped found many catering schools in Scotland and had formed the Scottish branch of the Hotel and Catering Institute. At the time of his retirement, he held a number of advisory positions at catering schools and associations. Mrs Muriset also had an active life outside of the hotel. She was involved in the Leven Ladies Committee for the Blind and was a founder and past president of the Inner Wheel Club of Leven. Indeed, Mr Muriset was a founder and past president of the Leven Rotary Club. The couple retired to 'Glenairlie' on Crescent Road (the house formerly known as Murree Lodge). Jean Muriset passed away in 1975 at the age of 79, while Freddie died at the age of 89 in 1981. A Mr J.W. Mathison (pictured) had succeeded the Murisets at the Lundin Links Hotel in 1966.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".