The other postcard shows the stanes surrounded by a single set of railings. These railings were in place from time of the opening of the Ladies course on its new site until 1922, when they were replaced with two separate enclosures, allowing play through the middle.
The presence of railings required there to be a local rule in event of balls falling within the enclosed area or other interference from the structures. Eventually, the deterioration of the railings and the tendency for litter to collect within them led to them being completely removed in the mid-1980s. Now the Standing Stanes are an integral part of the course and look as they are meant to be - imposing and unconfined.