The significant cluster of trees in the centre of the image directly behind the row of buildings along the A917 is known as The Grove. Before the house of the same name was built there c1914 for Evelyn Baxter, this area was a bleaching green. It had a well which was utilised in the watering of the linen that was bleached there. The Simpson Institute is central to the image. Built in 1891, the Institute has tennis courts and a bowling green within its grounds. Next to it is Crichton Place, the short terrace of eight flats, which once had a curling pond to the rear.
St Leonards, the house once home to Dr Palm and then to Dr Eggeling can be seen at the corner of South Feus. To the right of this, the tree-lined Serpentine Walk can be seen snaking into the distance towards Lower Largo. The garage on Main Street can be seen with its distinctive peak. Originally the Free Church, the associated manse is also marked. Between the garage and old manse is Wood's Hospital (now known as John Wood's Houses) which has origins going back 350 years. Below is the same view without annotations.