Merry Christmas to all from Vintage Lundin Links and Largo!
It's interesting to contemplate that back in the 1850s a "nice basket of fish" would have been "very appropriate for a Christmas present". This could have included the largest and finest "pandore oysters". These oysters, found in the Firth of Forth near Prestonpans got their name for being found close to the salt pans there. The advert below from the 10 December 1858 Caledonian Mercury was placed by John Anderson, the father of Andrew Greig Anderson who controlled many of the salmon fishing stations in Largo Bay in the late nineteenth century. Native oysters in the Forth were eventually fished to virtual extinction. The quirky festive postcard further below seems to hint at the loss of our native oysters, which are now part of a restoration project.