David (known as "D.M.") attended Edinburgh University - gaining an M.A. in 1906 and a B.Sc. in 1908. At the time of the 1911 census he was teaching in Greenock. He became Science Master at Moray House and was a member of Duddingston Golf Club - winning prizes there also. He set a course record at Pitlochry during the Highland competition in 1913. His teaching career meant that he was limited to participating in competitions which took part during school holidays. However, both golf and teaching had to be put completely on hold with the outbreak of World War One.
D.M. joined McCrae’s Battalion (16th Royal Scots) on 4 Jan 1915 at Edinburgh. After some months in the Royal Scots he was transferred to the Royal Engineers (chemist section) and was promoted to Corporal. This move was a response to the use of chlorine gas by the Germans. Special Companies of technically skilled men, under Major C.H. Foulkes of the Royal Engineers, were formed to deal with the new weapon. Nos 186 and 187 Special Companies were formed first, in July 1915, followed by 188 and 189 Companies in August. D.M. was part of the former group. All of the men were given the rank of Chemist Corporal. The Great War was the first in which chemical weapons were deployed.
On 20 December 1917 David married fellow teacher Helen Rutherford Wilson Campbell at Darling's Hotel on Waterloo Place in Edinburgh (see image below), while on leave from active service. Soon after his marriage, D.M. was wounded in action. He received a gun shot to the left elbow in France and ultimately was discharged from service on 11 July 1918 aged 31, receiving the silver war badge on 31 August 1918 (issued to those honourably discharged due to injury or illness). Eventually he was able to return to both teaching and golf.
In terms of his post-war teaching career, Stewart became head science master at Royal High School in Edinburgh in 1919. But in 1923 he returned to Fife, when appointed Principal Teacher of Science at Kirkcaldy High School. He remained in post until 1939, when he was selected as headmaster of Queen Anne Higher Grade School in Dunfermline - a position he retained until his retirement in 1951. By this time his health was failing. D.M. passed away at his home (49 Balwearie Road, Kirkcaldy) on 7 August 1952 at the age of 65. The Fife Free Press reported this two days later under the headline "Noted Golfer's Death".....
"Mr Stewart was one of the most outstanding and popular golfing figures ever to be associated with Kirckaldy Golf Club, but his profession and recreation did not begin Kirkcaldy. He was born in Lundin Links. It was his father, a school teacher at Lundin Links, who helped found the golf course there....D.M. was soon introduced to the golf course....[his] profession took him over a wide area. His reputation was enhanced at Golspie, Edinburgh and Dunfermline. "
He was survived by his wife and two daughters. He will be remembered - along with many other prominent local golfers - during the 150th anniversary celebrations at the Lundin Golf Club this year.