The photograph above shows the Railway Inn on the left and part of the viaduct on the right. In the foreground, next to a bend in the Keil Burn, is a fishing boat. This is the Clarewood, with the Methil registration ML 46. One of the smaller "second-class" boats, the Clarewood was 3.4 tons and just over 25 feet in length. The vessel had both a sail and a motor and was built in 1920 at Anstruther. The owners were brothers James and David Lawrie and David Melville.
James and David were both sons of well-known and long-lived Largo fisherman Thomas Lawrie and his wife Isabella Clunie. James Lawrie was born in 1878 and David in 1892. At the time of the 1921 census, shortly after procuring the Clarewood, James Lawrie was aged 42 and living in Downfield with his wife Davina (nee Hutton) and a cousin. At this point in time, Downfield contained seven households within the one building and was home to 23 people. Younger brother David Lawrie was aged 28 and lived at Bower House (now 90 Main Street, pictured below) with his wife Janet (nee Baillie). Bower House contained three households, with a total of twelve individuals. In another part of Bower House lived David Melville, aged 29. He lived with his mother Sophia, whose mother had been a Lawrie before marriage.
The Clarewood remained in Largo ownership until 1937, when it transferred to George Simpson and Robert Melville and became Anstruther-based (until 1939 when she was sold to Grangemouth). David Lawrie had died in January 1936 aged just 43 years, by which time he was described as a grocer rather than a fisherman. James Lawrie died in 1967, aged 89. David Melville died in 1976 aged 84.
The Clarewood appears below in a sketch dated 8 September 1929 with many points of interest in the background. To the right is the landward end of the Crusoe Hotel. In 1929, the hotel was owned by Robert Dick. The open door between the external staircase and the cart shed door was a tearoom at the time but would become a hairdresser in the 1930s. The Railway Inn is in the centre of the image, with the road bridge to the left. Behind the Railway Inn is the burnt-out and roofless shell of the Belmont Temperance Hotel. It had been gutted by fire in January 1926 and stood in a ruinous state for a long time afterwards. At the top of the drawing is Largo Railway Station. Clarewood appears again in the 1930s photograph by Wylie further below, resting in front of the disused Largo Mill.