The 'Pier Pavilion' on Largo Pier changed in appearance over the years, as the selection of images above shows. The temporary and portable nature of the structures plus exposure to the salty air would mean frequent repairs and a limited lifespan. The 'pavilion' with its stage was accompanied by a fenced off section containing seating. An early reference to the Pier Pavilion exists in the 9 January 1913 'The Stage' newspaper, which said:
"Wanted to Let; very reasonable terms to really First-Class Concert party or Attractive Entertainment - Largo Pier Pavilion. Tip-up stalls, stage and scenery. From Easter to end of June. Only tip-top show would be entertained."
The 'tip-up stalls' were later replaced with benches and (more pricey) deck chairs. While a charge would be made for a seated view of the performance, those trying to watch from outside the fencing would not escape the notice of the company - members of which would pass around the crowds with collection tins. The 22 June 1929 Fife Free Press snippet below gives a flavour of the popularity of the venue in the 1920s.
Owned by the Pier Committee by the 1920s, the pavilion could be rented for the season (see example adverts below from The Stage for the 1927, 1928 and 1934 seasons respectively).
While 'The Rigmaroles' enjoyed a twelve week run on the pier in 1927, one of the most regular performing companies was led by Tom O'Reilly. In 1925, 'O'Reilly's Vaudevillian Orchestra' were in residence at Largo. By 1929 they were still around but known as 'O'Reilly's Hammer and Tongs' (see piece below from 29 August 1929 The Stage). The company provided a ventriloquist act, comedy, songs, sketches, dancing and various musical items featuring a range of instruments. Further below, is a notice from The Stage on 11 September 1935 where the retitled 'O'Reilly's Serenaders' were performing for a sixth season.
By 1936 there was debate over the future of the pier pavilion and its alfresco shows. As the feature below from the 25 July Fife Free Press indicates, many would have wanted to preserve this traditional form of entertainment. But the unreliable weather, changing fashions and lack of profitability were beginning to work against it. The option to hold more events in La Scala was proving to be popular. The pavilion's days were numbered.
On 24 Dec 1937, the Dundee Courier ran the advert below when one of the structures was put up for sale along with a quantity of deck chairs. However, perhaps a sale was not secured as the pavilion was still mentioned in the 1938 season, including a performance by the local silver band. The era of the Pier Pavilion came to an end early during the Second World War when the Pier Committee was dissolved.