David Gillies of Cardy House, a descendant of the Selkirks, donated the statue which was created by Thomas Stuart Burnett. The plaque beneath
reads, "In memory of Alexander Selkirk, mariner, the original of Robinson Crusoe who lived on the island of Juan Fernández in complete solitude for four years and four months. He died 1723 of HMS Weymouth, aged 47 years. This statue is erected by David Gillies, net manufacturer, on the site of the cottage in which Selkirk was born."
"Lower Largo was "en fete". Bunting and ever-greens met one at every turn. Floral arches were here and there thrown across the main thoroughfares. At the Crusoe Hotel was an arch (the first to catch the eye on coming down from the station) with the words "Welcome here the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen". On the other side (the last to attract notice on leaving Largo) was the inscription "Will ye no come back again!" On the other arches were displayed such mottoes as "Weel may the Boatie Row" - a song which has special application to Largo - , "Robinson Crusoe now we see, good and great at last", "Labour always conquers" and "May Cardy Works Flourish".
A temporary platform covered in ever-greens was erected in front of "Crusoe's Cottage" and a procession and speeches took place in front of a large crowd (more detail on this to follow in tomorrow's post).