The above image shows a plumber's business, located at Church Place, Upper Largo around the turn of the century. The sign reads 'A. Wilson - Plumber, Tinsmith & Ironmonger'. This was Alexander Wilson, who became a plumber and tinsmith around 1880, in his late teens. His business later moved to the Main Street and he was joined in it by his sons. Before the days of pre-fabricated parts, many plumbers manufactured their own parts - hence the addition of 'tinsmith' and 'ironmonger' to the title was common. However, plumbers were seen as much more highly skilled than someone who performed only the role of tinsmith. In 1892, the Dundee Advertiser of 31 October reported on the question of registration for plumbers, designed to aid the "sifting of tinsmiths and other tradesmen from the genuine plumber trade" and spoke of the plumbers' "endeavour to maintain and elevate the position of their craft". The work of the Wilson firm will be evident in many local buildings. Notably, Alexander Wilson acted as plumber on the building of the Simpson Institute, working alongside other local tradesmen, including Alexander Williamson the plasterer and Agnew Broomfield the joiner. Details on the opening of the Simpson Institute to follow....
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".