The above circa 1907 photograph is a fairly early image of Somerville the grocer on Leven Road, Lundin Links. However, by the time this photograph was taken the name above the door had already changed from 'J. Somerville' to 'Andw. A. Somerville' as father (John) had recently handed over the reins to son (Andrew). The image below shows the original sign. In fact the young man in the door of the older image below could well be Andrew Allan Somerville himself as he was born in 1884 and so would be in his late teens at the time of this picture.
Andrew started work in his father John's grocer shop at Leven's Shorehead in 1898 at the age of 14. The following year John had plans drawn up for a new shop in Lundin Links and it opened in 1900. Andrew moved from the Leven shop to the Lundin Links one on 1 June 1900. When he reached the age of 21, he applied for his wine merchant license and the name above the shop was changed to his own (in 1905). Andrew held that license for 52 years, until he retired in 1957. Andrew was in the Black Watch volunteers between 1914 and 1918 drilling every Sunday morning on the Lundin Ladies Golf Course and was an A.R.P. warden and head fire master during the Second World War. He also took a keen interest in golf, curling and bowling and was a senior elder at Largo Parish Church.
An image of John Somerville's Leven shop can be seen further down this post. The Somervilles have also been covered in an earlier post on this site. The Somerville name remained above the Lundin Links shop into the 1980s - well after the death of Andrew in 1961. After a spell in use as an office, the shop premises has recently reopened as an up-cycling shop. The shop (pictured at the foot of this post) is now called 'Hamish and Baby Monkey' and is well worth a visit.