The listing below from the 3 August 1949 Dundee Courier shows that Horne's Corner Garage was fully established by that date. By 1956 Horne had had plans drawn up for a bigger and better garage - or 'service station' - further along the Largo Road close to the newly abandoned Largo House. The images of the architect drawings further below show that this was designed to be a modern, purpose-built facility to meet the needs of the growing number of motorists - a step-up from the old garage that was built for the days when few owned a motorised vehicle.
The site and footprint of the new building are worth noting. The location, on a straight stretch of road, was far more visible to passing traffic and had room for expansion. The unusual tapering shape of the site reflected the plan to build a by-pass road behind the garage. Its intended path is shown in the map below, marked 'future trunk road'. This road never came to fruition despite years of discussion and planning.
The layout plan above shows a block of 5 lock-ups on the left and the garage and office block to their right. A two pump island with flood light sits in front between two access points from the main road. Below is the plan of the garage block, which comprised workshop space plus a store and an office/shop (with display shelves). It must have all seemed very modern at the time - does anyone recall the early days of this garage?
Meanwhile the old Corner Garage continued under new management once Jimmy Horne had relocated. The advert for it below dates to the 13 March 1968 East Fife Mail. Over the decades it has changed use and ownership multiple times - services based there have included spray painting, cold store installation and a builder's workshop.
Back to the newer garage - below is a 1976 East Fife Mail advertisement for Horne's 'Lundin Links Service Station', which at the time offered vehicle hire, petrol, repairs and car accessories. The site was expanded and altered over time (including an additional workshop, more lock-ups, a car wash area and more fuel pumps). In the early eighties it became Mercury Motors (which continues at the site today). A little on the early days of Mercury Motors to follow.