Once a standalone village, Drummochy is now surrounded by Lundin Links to the west and Lower Largo to the east. This small corner of Largo has a history stretching back hundreds of years and was important due to its location on an elevated piece of land adjacent to where a stream meets the sea. The name Drummochy (or Drummochie) reflects its physical form - 'drumm' meaning ridge. In 1837, when the farms of Blacketyside and Bankhead were advertised for sale in the Fife Herald, the description spoke of the farms being "within two miles of the shipping ports of Leven and Drummochy", showing the importance of this once busy harbour. When the above postcard was sent in 1908, Drummochy was connected to Seatoun of Largo only by wooden footbridge. A bridge for vehicles was not built until 1914.
The saltworks at Drummochy has been covered in a previous post, however, this advert from 1774 is a reminder of a time when the production of salt would have been vital to this area.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".