The above images show the main street in Upper Largo, perhaps c1940, with the motor garage prominent on the left hand side. Built around 1843 as Upper Largo Free Church, the building was converted into a bus garage in 1933 by David Ramage. The bus garage evolved into a car garage and the advert below from 1955 shows it still going strong 20 years later.
Around 1960, the garage was taken over by Jimmy Purves and in 1965 a series of alterations were made. The work included demolition of the neighbouring dwelling house that adjoined the main road (shown to the right of the garage in the top images); a new tarmac area and boundary wall, new fascias, removal of existing shop front; alterations to various windows and doors; the re-siting of the petrol pumps away from the road-side; and new tanks, pipes and access for tankers. The images below are from plans drawn up at that time.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".