The previous post looked at Largo Cricket Club's four-and-a-bit season run from 1949 to 1953. After that time the club went into abeyance for three decades before being revived in 1983. It was Yorkshireman, Peter Norton, who was living in Largo, that played a pivotal role in the resurrection of the club, along with a number of keen locals. Initially, games were played at Silverburn on the outskirts of Leven (where apparently donkey droppings had to be cleared from the grass before play). Some play also took place at Waid Academy in Anstruther. However, after three years, the club made a return to their Upper Largo playing field at East Drive (pictured above).
The 10 May 1986 Courier piece below tells of the inaugural game at the ground, which was due to take place the following day. The article noted that the return to the home ground had been made possible through a combination of the efforts of local people, funding from North East Fife District Council and the agreement of land owner Charles Makgill Crichton. The opening gala day saw Largo play against "Fife's most famous cricketers" Freuchie Cricket Club. Just the year before, in 1985, the Freuchie side had risen to fame by winning the National Village Championship at Lord's, with a victory against a side from Surrey.
Around 500 people attended this special occasion but unfortunately the Largo team went down by 135 runs to 66 against the National Village Champions. This was in spite of a guest appearance for Largo by Mike Denness the former England and Kent cricket captain. Denness was, and remains, the only England captain to have been born in Scotland. Scotland did not have an international team at the time of his career.
Freuchie's George Wilson was man of the match. President of Largo C.C. Andrew Duncan was delighted that such a high profile opening match could be arranged at the new ground. There was a "carnival atmosphere" with side shows, beer tent, teas and coffees. Since that day many visiting clubs have enjoyed the hospitality and picturesque surroundings of the East Drive ground. The Largo club's second period in existence continues its almost 40 year unbroken run to this day. You can read more about recent club history here and on the club's website: www.largocc.org.uk/. Long may the club's second run continue.....