When Lieutenant Charles Makgill Maitland Crichton took on the Largo Estate in 1901, he immediately set about making a number of improvements to Largo House. The Dundee Courier of 29 May 1902 reported that he and his wife were to take up residence at Largo House while repairs were made on their mansion at Lathrisk. It stated that "extensive alterations have lately been made". Presumably, once Lathrisk was also brought up to scratch, they returned there, because in 1904 Largo House was leased to a family that would remain there for the next 20 years and become active members of the local community.
This small statement in the Dundee Evening Post of 2 May 1904 announces that Mr Benjamin Cox is to become the new tenant of Largo House. He would remain there until his death in 1924. Mr Cox came from Selkirk where he had been involved in a family woollen mill at Philiphaugh.
After the death of Mr Cox in 1924, Largo House became occupied by Captain and Mrs Jeffrey (seen above seated on either side of the man standing at a Unionist Fete held in the grounds of the house) (Courier of 10 Aug 1926). By 13 February 1928, the Dundee Courier reported Largo House as "tenantless". However, in 1930 a new long-term tenant arrived that would see Largo House through until the outbreak of war in 1939. This was Mr John Key Hutchison and family. Mr Hutchison was described as a 'maltser' - in other words he was involved in the brewing of beer. This family also became very much involved in local life but by the end of 1939 had moved to Kinloch House, near Ladybank.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".