In November 1768, minister Robert Ferrier demitted his charge to form an Independent Church at Balchrystie. To fill the vacancy, James Durham of Largo House presented Reverend David Burn. This choice sparked objections from a number of the congregation and, initially, Burn declined the call. However, when offered the post a second time, Burn accepted. The members of the congregation who were still dissatisfied with the turn of events, left the Church and formed the new congregation that became Largo Relief Church (forerunner to Largo St David's Church).
So David Burn was the first to occupy the manse and remained there until his death in the summer of 1776. The next occupant was Reverend Spence Oliphant (1777-1821). The extract from the 1792 Old Statistical Account for Largo below states that "the manse was rebuilt 20 years ago" and that at the time it was "among the best in the presbytery". Shortly after the arrival of Robert Lundin Brown, the manse was significantly extended (1822). Today the manse is a category B listed building, described as:
Two storeys and dormerless attic. Three bays; harled with painted margins. Central door in moulded architrave; bracketed cills. One window to each floor in gable ends including attic. Glazing mainly plate-glass sashes. Slate roof with straight skews and corniced ashlar end stacks. Rear wing, 19th century two storey, three bays with stair in re-entrant angle.
Situated to the north-west of the Church, see map below, the manse is south-facing. Originally its grounds extended to five acres, including an orchard and a glebe, which could be let out for grazing. To its north east lies the stable block built in the 1830s. More to follow on the history of the stables soon.
In 1894, retired minister Reverence William Davidson died at the manse. Shortly afterwards, the contents of the house were sold at roup. The list of household furniture and other articles below from the 27 April East of Fife Record gives an insight to the content of the manse at that time.
After around 250 years and a dozen ministers, the manse was sold in 2018 and has now entered into a new era of private ownership. Below is the floor plan for the manse as it was at the time of the sale. Much, of course has changed over the decades, including the union of Largo Kirk with Newburn Church in 1958 and the 1987 link with Largo St David's Church. If you have memories of visiting the manse or its gardens, please comment.