Not only were films shown at La Scala, but dances, plays and other functions took place there. The East Fife Mail of 20 November 1968 told of how the Clayton Brothers would organise special shows in Lundin Links and that "in the summer of 1925 they took they East Fife Coast by storm when they introduced concert parties in the district." Outdoor shows would be held at the pavilion on Largo Pier or transferred to La Scala if the weather was poor. However, these shows went out of fashion before the Second World War, leaving the cinema and its twice-weekly dances as the focus of the business.
Dances continued right through until the early 1960s (the above advert dates to 1963). They finally ceased in 1965 - the year that Bill Clayton died. Thomas kept the cinema going despite falling audiences and the growth of television. He found that what was once entertainment for all the family was now primarily popular with a teenage audience, although the annual children's screening on the first Saturday in January remained a local tradition. On 9 November 1968, Thomas Clayton closed his remaining cinemas in Lundin Links, Strathmiglo and Auchtermuchy and retired. The East Fife Mail article entitled "The Screen Goes Blank at La Scala", noted that Mr Clayton (pictured) was presented with a clock at the last screening prior to closure and stated that Mr Clayton himself had always been the projectionist there and had maintained all the equipment. A Mrs Helen Mann, who had been the cinema cashier for over thirty years, was presented with a bouquet of flowers. Thomas Clayton passed away in 1975.