Back in November 1953, The Railway Magazine ran a feature on "The Fife Coast Line" which included the above photograph. Lundin Links was a single platform station, with two main station buildings. In the photograph, the original station building is in the left foreground with the sloping roof. Built 1857/8, this building was jointly funded by the railway company and the Standard Life Assurance Company (then owners of the Lundin Estate). Around 50 years later, a replacement station building was built by the North British Railway adjacent to the original one, complete with ticket office and windowed waiting rooms plus a canopy over the platform. The view above shows the golf course to the right of the railway line and the clubhouse can be seen in the distance.
Lundin Links Station lay on the Leven to Kilconquhar extension of the Leven and East of Fife Railway, which opened in 1857. Later the line was further extended, eventually running to St Andrews. Completion of the railway round the Fife Coast was close in time to the opening of the second Tay Bridge (1887) and soon followed by the completion of the Forth Rail Bridge (1890). These connections and the popularity of the Fife Coast for holidays made the line an important one for a while. Lundin Links station was closed in 1965. In the next post - Largo Station.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".