- Guilston Backmuir in 1753 on the Roy map
- Newtown of Gilston in 1775 on the Ainslie map
- New Gilston in 1828 on the SGF map
- Backmuir of New Gilston on the 1854 OS map above
- New Gilston on the 2001 OS Explorer map
The 1841 census data for the village shows that the majority of adult males in the village were employed either as agricultural labourers or as coal miners (with a small number of hand loom weavers and carters and a couple of blacksmiths and stone masons). At that time the village had had a school for a number of years - a subscription school having begun in 1832 (see advert below from the 1 November Fife Herald that year.