"No modern seaside resort is considered to cater adequately for its visitors unless it provides variety entertainments, and the Pier Pavilion on Largo Pier is regularly visited by competent companies of artistes. For some time past these entertainments have been managed by Mr Clayton, who also organises cheerful little dances in his picture house from time to time."
The picture house was of course La Scala in Lundin Links and Mr Clayton would be one of the three Clayton brothers, whose mother Jessie had had La Scala built in 1920. Her husband William Clayton had been killed in World War One. He was a marine engineer and was one of fourteen killed on a cargo ship named 'Barnton' when it was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the Bay of Biscay on 24 April 1917. The cargo steamer had been carrying iron ore from Bilbao to the Tyne. The inscription 'Mar. Ch. Eng. W Clayton' appears on the Largo War Memorial. Mrs Clayton's enterprising venture to set up a cinema, in the village where all her sons had been born, provided a life-long career for her offspring.