"Possibly late 15th century with some reconstruction circa 1500. Ruinous rectangular, rubble built tower with later projecting stair at north west. At south east angle built up entrance at 1st floor level with indications of an earlier projecting stair. 2 intercommunicating ground floor vaulted chambers with trap being only access to 1st floor. Entrance to 1st floor on west elevation, round arched and formerly opening to screens passage. Chimney on east wall of hall barrel vaulted (now gone) inserted, early springing remains. Upper floors now fragmentary."
Furthermore, RCAHMS provide the following description of the castle:
"This ruined tower has features which suggest that it has at some time been reconstructed though the difference in building style is so slight that it may indicate only changes made during building. The date of the original construction would seem to be a little before 1500. On plan the tower is an oblong lying E-W and measuring 25.5ft by 38.25ft with the remains of a small stair-wing projecting from the north-west angle. It is constructed of dressed stone with rubble filling and is now much weathered."
The site belonged to a branch of the Ramsay family in the 14th century but became the property of the second Lord Lindsay of the Byres* upon his marriage with the heiress of Pitcruvie. The book 'The East Neuk of Fife - It's History and Antiquities' describes the story of the site's ownership as follows:
"It belonged, in the beginning of the fourteenth century, to a family of the name of Ramsay. Sir John Ramsay's granddaughter, Janet Ramsay, Lady Pitcruvie, married David, second Lord Lindsay of the Byres,....David, Lord Lindsay, died in 1492, and was succeeded by his brother John, who died without issue in 1497, and the title then came to Patrick, who, in 1498, has a charter of Pitcruvie for himself and his wife ; and his son John was styled Lindsay of Pitcruvie, whence we gather that Janet Ramsay had brought the lands of Pitcruvie into the Lindsay family. It was, with other lands, erected into the barony of Pitcruvie, and remained long in possession of their descendants. In or about 1650 Lord Crawford was obliged to sell Pitcruvie to James Watson of Aithernie. Soon after we find it in the hands of Arnot of Fernie ; and it now forms part of the estate of Largo."
*Byres is located close to Haddington in East Lothian
Below are some pencil drawings of Pitcruive Castle done in 1838 by Alexander Archer, which show it in broadly the same state as it remains today.