The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) listing for the building states that while the lands of Largo were granted to Wood in 1482-3 and re-granted in 1491 along with a licence to build a tower or similar building (which Wood had already built by that time), the present tower is thought to date from at least 100 years later. In 1618 the lands passed to Peter Black and that time frame would suit the building style of the present tower better. RCAMHS also note that the foundations of the south wall contain traces of a yet older building. Perhaps these traces are all that remain of Wood's actual home.
Another popular story regards the building of a canal between the tower and Upper Largo, used to transport Wood between home to the Largo Kirk. Maps refer to 'Canal (remains of)' even in recent times. However, this part of Sir Andrew's Wood's story seems impossible to verify and for some seems doubtful. An excavation in 1992 found no traces of clay, which would be necessary to retain water - concluding that if anything this was a drainage ditch. Nevertheless, the canal theory certainly adds to the allure of the life story of an undoubtedly great man who played a key role in Scottish history.