This scene from the 1920s/30s era contains plenty interest - from the vintage car in the foreground to the man walking with a stick and two dogs to the detail of the cemetery (with its tall monkey puzzle tree), the shadowy outline of Wood's Hospital and Largo Bay beyond that. The title it also noteworthy - 'Largo from The Birsays'. This road leads uphill from Upper Largo, skirting the lower easterly slopes of Largo Law, towards places such as Pitcruvie, Balcormo and New Gilston. But before reaching any of these places, on the right, was a small farm named 'Birsiemire'. The road down to Upper Largo was variously known as 'Birsie Brae' (see entry in Fife Herald of 8 January 1846 below) or 'Birsey-brae' (as noted in Largo Village Book) or 'The Birsays'.
The cemetery on the north edge of Upper Largo originated in the late 1850s, taking over from the graveyard that surrounds Largo Kirk - more on that to come.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".