The Cottage Tea Rooms were situated on Largo Road, Lundin Links for many decades, finally closing just a few years ago and reverting to residential use. The cottage probably dates to the early-mid 19th century and is part of a terrace of three cottages (see photograph below - the tearoom was in the cream coloured building at far end of row, just left of centre). It seems likely that these cottages were originally built by the landowner as homes for either weavers or farm or mill workers. When the cottage was first converted into a business is unclear. However, it seems likely that it was already in use as a shop and tearoom when it was purchased by Mary Grieve in 1920.
This entry from the 1939 MacDonald's Directory and Gazeteer lists the village's two tearooms. The Cottage Tea Rooms are described as providing "dainty service" and being "quiet and homely". That may have changed somewhat during the Second World War when the tearoom was frequented by the Polish paratroopers who were training down the road at Largo House. During wartime the tearoom became a popular meeting place for younger people.
Mrs Grieve continued to run the Cottage Tea Rooms until the business was advertised for sale early in 1952. It was indeed sold as a going concern and further details on its later years will be given in the next post.
This blog is about the history of the villages of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo in Fife, Scotland. Comments and contributions from readers are very welcome!
There is no in-built search facility on this site. To search for content, go to Google and type your search words followed by "lundin weebly".