4. James Bell (Mason) 5. John Trail (Carter) 6. Brewery/Bakery 7. Bleaching Green
The story of how the family came to dominate this key locality seems to stretch back to the origins of the inn itself. The earliest recorded innkeeper seems to be a 'Mrs Wood'. Records point to Mrs Wood being an Elspeth Cornfoot, who married a James Wood. She was recorded as innkeeper in 1794 and perhaps remained so up until the time of her death in 1814. Soon after that her relative Nathan Cornfoot stepped into her shoes at the inn. In 1817 there is a reference to "Cornfoot's Tavern" in Lundin Mill in the Caledonian Mercury. Interestingly, when Nathan Cornfoot died at the inn on 12 February 1840, an inventory of his possessions was compiled. This provides tantalising insights into life at the inn around that time.
As well as the usual tables, chairs, tablecloths, beds (described as "chaff beds" - effectively straw mattresses), bedding, pillows, dressers, cutlery and crockery, there were many items you would expect to find at an inn, including stoups (used for collecting water from the well), a gross of bottles, wine glasses, goblets, tumblers and measures (including 'gill', 'mutchin' and 'donald' sizes) and no less than 22 gallons of whisky! Apparently the consumption of whisky per person per year in Scotland then was around 1.6 gallons back then, compared to 0.4 gallons now.
Also listed were grates, fire irons, bellows, shovels, a bread toaster and a tea kettle. More refined items included mahogany tea trays, brass candlesticks, lanterns, silver teaspoons and an eight-day clock (with a movement requiring winding only once per week). Meanwhile, out in the byre were two cows - one brown, one black, a corn chest, a wheelbarrow, a scythe, rake and ladder, among many other items.
Andrew Bell eventually took over as innkeeper. He too, looks to have had a family connection to Elspeth Wood (nee Cornfoot) - as one of her daughters (Janet Wood) married into the Bell family. When, Andrew Bell died in 1849, his wife Janet (nee Berwick) took over as inn keeper and remained so for many years.
Anyway, it was from the already established corner site of the inn and toll bar, that the newly formed 'Emsdorf' had began to spread - eastwards, from 1802 - in the general direction of Drummochy. More on Emsdorf to follow...