1. National Bank of Scotland
2. British Linen Bank
3. Commercial Bank
The three banks were there from the mid 1920s until around 1940. The National Bank rented its premises from the Post Office proprietor (initially Robert Ferguson then James Duncan), while the British Linen Bank was a tenant of neighbouring Somerville the Grocer and the Commerical Bank was tenant of Emma Gulland (who had the shop next door). In addition, the National Bank had an office in Crescent Road for a spell while the Linen Bank had its office briefly on Emsdorf Street within the La Scala cinema building.
Below is a close-up view of the Banks plus an advert for both the Commercial Bank and the Linen Bank dating to this period (both listing a Lundin Links branch).
The outbreak of the Second World War was the beginning of the end for this banking stronghold. A front page notice from the 17 Oct 1939 Leven Advertiser indicates that all three banks were to operate reduced hours from the following Monday. By 1942 the 'old' National Bank premises were empty and being advertised to let (see 21 Oct Leven Mail clip). The National Bank moved into the Commercial Bank site at the corner of Crescent Road. It was the last bank standing on Leven Road, as the Linen Bank did not reopen after the war. In 1959 the National Bank merged with the Commercial Bank. A decade later it merged with the Royal Bank of Scotland - in which guise many will remember the corner bank at Lundin Links.