3. Sunnybraes Farm 4. Emsdorf School
5. Lundin Mill 6. Part of Largo Estate
7. Drum Lodge 8. Port of Drummochy
To the north is Lundinmill with its historic heart around the mill itself, surrounded on three sides by the Keil Burn.To the south by the mouth of the burn is Drummochy. Well-established as a port at the time, Drummochy had been home to a salt works in the eighteenth century.
The newest of the three villages was the planned settlement of 'Emsdorf', the origins of which can be traced to 1802. The toll house and inn at the east of what would become Emsdorf Street were already in place when Sir William Erskine began feuing off the land in the part of the Lundin Estate newly named 'Emsdorf' (after the battle in which Erskine's father had had a famous victory). Apparently also known at one time as 'Over Drummochy', Emsdorf would soon be considered part of 'Lundinmill'.
Over the next few posts, we'll look at each of these three settlements as they were back around 1850 and the people and facilities found there at the time.