The woman and two children look like they are returning from a trip to the beach, carrying a spade and a parasol (although quite warmly dressed). There seems to be some kind of hand cart parked further down the street.
Presumably this area was previously wooded, prior to the various stages of its development. Initially, only the weaver's cottages at the Emsdorf end of the street existed (out of shot to the left), followed by the building of the manse (see other image) halfway along the present street around 1851. This substantial villa, built from local stone, was owned by the Church of Scotland until 1987.
There were a number of phases of further building in the street through the 20th century. The houses on the south side of the street enjoy open sea views as the street occupies an elevated position above the Drummochy Road.