The shop would remain in the hands of the Youngs for many decades. Christina Young began the business after finding herself in difficult circumstances. Born in the year that the railway arrived (1857), in Lundin Mill, Christina was the daughter of weaver John Masteron and Janet White. Both the Mastertsons and White were long-established Lundin Mill families. She was a tailor's machinist and later a house-keeper before she married James Young in 1890 in Lundin Mill. James was son of a weaver/salmon fisher from Lower Largo.
At the time of their marriage, James was working as a journeyman tailor in Glasgow and so it was there that they initially settled and there that their first child, Janet Bennet White Young, was born in 1891. However, by the time that their second child was born - John in 1893 - they were back in Lundin Mill. Tragedy struck the family in September of 1894 when James Young went missing. Some weeks later his body was found in a field in Buckhaven when the oats were being harvested. Christina was left a widow while expecting their third child. Annie was born on 2 December 1894.
Widowed with three young children, I imagine Christina received much support from her extended family. Within a few years, she was running her shop by the bridge over the Keil Burn on what is now Largo Road. When she died in 1919, her Emsdorf Street shop was left to her three children. Janet passed away in 1950. Annie Thomson Lawrie (nee Young) and John Young both died in 1968. Many will remember John Young, a real local character, who was at the shop until well into the 1960s. Newspapers were delivered from the train into the village and would be sorted by John, who in later years had poor eyesight, but knew which paper was which by the feel of them. He reportedly had never ventured further than Upper Largo in his whole life. If you recall John and/or Young's shop - please comment.