Although the name probably goes back to at least the 19th century, early written mentions are few and far between. Back in 1939, when the location was designated as a "regulation parking place" by the District Council (see 5 Aug Fife Free Press notice below), the spelling was given as "Awry".
Meanwhile, the local variation in spelling continued over the decades. In 1959, when plans were being formulated for the Sailing Club, the Leven Mail went with the spelling 'Orrey' (see below).
However, by 1984 the spelling 'Orrie' was being used instead (see advert below featuring Crusoe from that year). It was still used in 1993 - see further below.
This street map from 1996 - perhaps the most official reference among this selection - favoured the label 'The Orra'.