Above is a 1970s photograph of Goodsir House on Lower Largo's Main Street (facing the Orry), which is held in the Canmore archives. This house was built for Dr John Goodsir (1746-1816) in the late eighteenth century. Dr Goodsir was in medical practice at Largo (and surrounding area) for 46 years. There were already Goodsirs in Largo before the doctor was born. His own father - also John Goodsir (1719-1780) - was born, married and died in Largo. John senior and Janet Walker were married at Largo Parish Church by Robert Ferrier on 19 December 1745. His work as a tenant farmer took him away from Largo for a few years. He was based in Wemyss Parish at the time of his marriage and the newlyweds settled there initially. Their two eldest children - John (the future Largo Doctor) and James - were born where they lived at Muiredge (see John's 1746 birth record below).
The family moved to Scoonie Parish around 1750, where two further children were born (Janet and Thomas). Then, around 1753, the Goodsir family made their return to Largo. The four youngest Goodsir children were born there (see below).
So, Dr John Goodsir lived in Largo from around the age of seven and attended local school. He went on to study medicine at Edinburgh University, returning to Largo around 1770. In 1773, John married Agnes Johnston of Markinch (see marriage record below). Their first child was born within a couple of years and they went on to have eleven children, all of whom were born in Largo (although not all survived into adulthood).
Goodsir's successful medical practice and huge work ethic enabled him to acquire various properties in Largo over the years. As well as Goodsir House (built circa 1780s for his growing family), and Doctor's Vennel (where he is said to have had his Largo surgery), Goodsir also had neighbouring 'Court House' built to house medical students that he taught (according to the book 'Largo 21' by Largo Field Studies Society). Below is an extract from the sasine register of 1799, showing that Dr Goodsir also owned property on the south side of Main Street. After his death his children and grandchildren continued to own property in Largo for many decades.