The old walled garden of Largo House, which sits between the main mansion and the Largo Home Farm, is a 2.7 acre area that once contained formally laid out working gardens (see 1854 map above). The garden included an orchard, glasshouses, extensive fruit and vegetable beds, hedges and neat paths lined with herbaceous borders (see image below from Canmore collection, captured in 1901 by Lady Henrietta Gilmour Montrave).
A walled garden is a garden enclosed by high walls. While the walls provide protection from animals and intruders, they are primarily there for horticultural reasons. They protect the produce from wind and frost and can raise the temperature within the garden by a few degrees. The walls absorb and retain heat from the sun and release it slowly. South-facing high walls create their own microclimate and are suited for growing more tender plants that wouldn't survive in an unenclosed garden. Many estate mansion houses had their own walled garden, suppling fresh fruit and vegetables to the household and providing a pleasant place to walk and grow flowers. Many had glasshouses, some with artificial heat from stoves or similar, enabling exotic plants to be grown.
Over the years many day excursionists enjoyed a visit to the gardens, often guided by the gardener. For example in 1852, 180 workers from the Haugh spinning mill in Windygates were shown round the "blooming and richly adorned" gardens by the "very attentive" Thomas Blair (2 Sept Fife Herald). The steps which lead off the walled garden to the west (see postcard image above) are still there today (see below). The Largo Village Book of 1932 refers to this "long flight of steps" that leads up to the "old garden" close to Sir Andrew Wood's Tower. At the top of the steps "one walks round a broad grass walk, high above the other garden and the present house. The centre of this old garden slopes down to the middle on all sides".
To see a nearby comparable walled garden restoration project, which has been in progress for a number of years, see Amisfield Walled Garden in East Lothian. Also a late 18th century garden, this garden had been long neglected before work began in 2006 on its restoration. Progress since then has been impressive and it is now a thriving community garden. See image below and here for more details: