One long-standing family of old Largo (and in particular of the area shown above) were the Rodgers. Multiple generations of this family lived at 'Burnside House' on Mill Wynd - shown above (1) - while other family members lived in the old cottages that once stood where Lundin Links Police Station was built on Largo Road (2). Many of the Rodgers were weavers but once the railway arrived and the village began to develop, some worked for the railway or in shops.
James Craigie Roger (1830-1907) was a weaver and seasonal salmon fisher, as well as the first superintendent of the Lundin Golf Course. His grandson - Rev. Alexander Caseby - wrote about his forebears in 1970 for the Largo St David's Parish Church magazine, In the piece he noted that the long line of Rodgers in Largo "went back 200 years" (in fact records show they they went back further than that) and were among the first members of the church. He proudly claimed that "at one time there were 40 males bearing the name of Rodger from Temple to the Lundie Standin' Stanes, and from Largo harbour to Kirkton of Largo." He described them as long-lived and industrious people, several of whom lived into their nineties.
Rev. Caseby's mother was Maggie Rodger, daughter of James Rodger and Margaret Angus of Lundin Mill. She was born in Burnside House - apparently "like five generations before her". Rev. Caseby also shared his family history with the Courier newspaper - the letter below appearing on 9 October 1969.
Rev. Caseby (pictured below) was born at Bridge House Lundin Links (marked '4' above) on 19 January 1898. His parents Margaret Rodger and John Caseby had been married in Burnside House in 1886 by Rev David Malloch and had lived in Edinburgh before returning to Lundin Links in 1897 to set up a boot makers shop in Bridge House (4). This was where Margaret Bremner had had her shop before moving to the new Post Office. The 1897/8 winter had been severe - stormy with deep snow. Ships had struggled to get out of Largo Harbour and local men had worked hard to clear the way through the snow to enable food supplies and other deliveries to get through. Later in life Rev. Caseby became a missionary in Livingstonia in Malawi before returning to Scotland. He and his wife lived at Ernest Cottage for a spell (his son Cyril being born there). He lived in various places around Fife over the years and died aged 93 in 1991.
Burnside House was and is in close proximity to a property named 'Leaside' on Largo Road (marked '3' in the top photograph). A property dispute had broken out over use of the passageway that runs between the two in 1907. The 'eleventh hour' settlement reached between James Rodger and William Adam is described in the 29 January Courier article below.The passageway in question still exists today and can be seen in the detailed image further below. James Craigie Rodger (noted as "being ill" in the article) died on 20 March 1907 - just weeks after this case.
Burnside is the area close to where the Largo Road bridge crosses the Keil Burn. The maps at the foot of this post date from 1850s and 1960s respectively. The substantial 'Millburnlea' (marked '5' above) was built between Burnside House and the Keil Burn during the intervening period.