Historic Environment Scotland (HES) have released a huge number of newly digitised photographs that were taken around rural Scotland in the 1970s. The images were originally gathered by The Scottish Countryside Commission, many during a survey of C-listed buildings. The full collection is available to view at canmore.org.uk. There are many of Lundin Links, Lower Largo and Upper Largo. Full details of the release here:
Permission has been granted for specially downloaded watermarked versions of the images to be displayed on blogs, so this will be a fantastic resource for this site to tap into. The images will no doubt pose questions and inspire new lines of research. Here is a small selection of the local scenes that particularly caught my attention (downloaded according to the guidelines and with watermarks displayed under each)...
Above are some of the Leven Road shops in Lundin Links while below are:
- 'Beechwood' the 1895 villa that faces these shops;
- the old Lundin Mill School on Crescent Road photographed soon after the move to the new school;
- the Old Manor Hotel in its Beach Hotel days;
- Cardy Net Factory;
- Lower Largo Post Office (more recently home to Very Crafty);
- and Wilson's shop in Upper Largo.
Loads more to see on-line - enjoy!